Visual Arts Plymouth provides a voice and a platform for the range of visual arts in Plymouth. It connects grassroots activity with a larger city cultural plan and vision, and shares knowledge and ideas in order to effect change in the city. One of VAP’s defining successes has been the development of the Plymouth Art Weekender, taking place annually, since 2015, on the last full weekend of September.
It is our belief that Plymouth needs to celebrate the full range of visual arts across the city, in all its forms, from the highly experimental to the traditional. We want to bring people together to reimagine what the city could be as a thriving centre of visual arts and then look at how we can make it happen.
We are looking to expand VAP and invite creative and imaginative ‘activators’ who are passionate about visual arts: people who are willing to share ideas and knowledge with a can-do attitude.
In order to extend the group’s diversity and effectiveness we hope to hear from people with a range of skills and perspectives, such as (but not exclusively): funding bid writing, legal, licensing and intellectual property expertise; business and creative industry links; and diversity and inclusion. If you feel that you can volunteer your time (approx 1-2 hours per week), add diversity and offer skills relevant for making things happen, then please apply.
Role of the Activators:
- To drive the further development of the Visual Arts Plymouth (VAP) mission and steer it forward.
- Focus on a common agenda to strengthen the visual arts and creative sector across Plymouth and not the needs of any one individual, organisation, practice or part of the municipality, and recognise diversity across the city.
- To be clear and transparent about objectives for the group, allowing open discussion that is responsive and ensures effective communication with the sector.
- To move forward quickly and with vitality, yet also with due care and consideration.
The Activators commitment:
- Attendance at Activators bi-monthly meetings (at least 75% of the 6-8 per year).
- Membership in and contribution to achieving the objectives of 1-2 VAP Working Groups (we currently have 4 – Finance, Plymouth Art Weekender, Marketing & Strategy)
- Active contribution to discussion of agenda items and implementation of agreed actions.
- Time, energy and skills in making key events a success (e.g. all hands on deck for Plymouth Art Weekender).
- Review and contribute to key documents.
- Advocate for Visual Arts Plymouth at functions, meetings and events – representing the Visual Arts sector as a whole.
- Attendance at VAP Events (one or two per year).
- Contribution to regional and national debates (where relevant)
The role of ‘activator’ is a voluntary one. A minimum term of one year will be expected of each activator.
In exchange, you will have networking, mentoring and professional development opportunities as well as having a hand in transforming the Visual Arts in Plymouth.
Expressions of Interest:
If you are interested in joining us, please send a short statement (no more than one side of A4) introducing yourself and outlining why you would like to be part of the VAP activators and attributes you will bring to the network.
For more info or enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please let us know if you would like to be involved but can’t commit to being an activator.
Please respond as soon as possible! It is our aim to invite new Activators to attend a VAP CIC strategy meeting in late February/early March, date to be confirmed.
Thanks for your interest!