VAP CIC was formed in January 2019 after 5 years as an informal organisation. There are currently 4 Directors – Lucy Davies, Dominic Marcellus-Temple, Rhys Morgan and Ellen Sims.
VAP Activators drive Visual Arts Plymouth CIC’s activities. Outside of the meetings, VAP Activators carry out tasks and form working-groups to achieve a range of public & behind-the-scenes activity, including:
- fundraising for VAP projects, resource gathering & budget management
- recruiting and selecting project-specific staff
- steering Plymouth Art Weekender
- steering VAP CIC’s Talent Development scheme
- strategic development of Plymouth’s grassroots and community arts activity
- identifying and generating opportunities to link between arts, education & outreach activity in the city
All VAP Activators and Directors currently participate in Visual Arts Plymouth CIC on a voluntary, unpaid basis. Some who work for VAP supporting organisations (University of Plymouth Arts Institute, Plymouth City Council, The Box, Flameworks, Marjon University, Plymouth College of Art and Karst) are often supported to attend meetings.
Activators are selected by an open call process. There are usually 15 members, although additional members can be invited to apply by existing VAP activators (as appropriate for different projects). VAP Activators remain in post for 12 months, with the option to extend for a further 6 or 12 months. We will be putting out a call for new Activators in Autumn 2019.
- Rachael Allain – artist, educator & researcher (retiring 2019)
- Sarah Chapman – artist, Director of Arts Institute & co-founder of PVAC
- Peter Davey – artist, co-founder Tribe Magazine & WonderZoo, 100 Homes Project. (Retiring 2019).
- Lucy Davies – (Director) singer, sonic artist, ~hotwire~
- Stephen Felmingham, Senior Lecturer with remit for Academic Partnerships, Plymouth College of Art
- Francesca Hawkesworth – Enterprise Coordinator at Ocean Studios- Real Ideas Organisation and part of LOCI artist mural collective.
- Donna Howard – artist & Business Director at KARST (retired 2019)
- Sarah McAdam, Director of School, School of Arts & Humanities, Plymouth Marjon University
- Kitty McEwan – artist, leader and co-founder of YEA Plymouth, curator of Plymouth Zine Library, student at Plymouth College of Art, & local arts blogger (VAP Young Activator, retiring 2019)
- Dominic Marcellus-Temple (Director) – artist & Flameworks member
- Tim Mills, artist, University of Plymouth lecturer and Box curator
- Rhys Morgan (Director) – artist and project leader at Take A Part
- Katy Richardson, artist
- Judith Robinson – Partnerships Officer (Cultural and Creative Programmes) at Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery; Arts and Cultural Development Manager for the Arts & Heritage Service of Plymouth City Council; PCMAG; Vice Chair of PVAC; member of VASW Steering Group
- Lucy Stella Rollins – CAMP CIC Director, Director of Flock Southwest CIC
- Ellen Sims (Director) – artist, member of Rhizome Collective; participant School of the Damned 2019
PREVIOUS VAP ACTIVATORS
- B Aga -Creative Director at i-DAT
- Erin Bailey – artist & educator
- Edith Doove – independent curator, Head of BA Fine Art at Plymouth College of Art
- Rosie King – artist & studio holder at KARST
- Leigh Mason – Business Development Director of Ocean Studios.
- Lee Mc Donald – artist
- Beth Emily Richards – artist, researcher & co-founder of Project Space 11 and Come To Ours
- Alan Schechner – artist & Head of School of Art & Media and Associate Dean: Creative Industries at Plymouth University
- Ray White – Curator at Effervescent &Commercial and Buildings Manager at Radiant
- Vickie Fear – independent producer and curator, 1/3 of Counter & Producer with We The People Are The Work
- Laura Hopes – artist & educator, current MA Fine Art student at Plymouth University
- Ian Hutchinson – independent curator, producer, fundraiser and arts development consultant, Development Manager for Groundwork South & co-founder of PVAC